When we first started talking about a 10 day vacation without the kids it was hard to fathom. Now that we're actually doing it, it seems so bizarre! It's taken me the first couple days to be comfortable with making decisions for only me and only being concerned with what just the two of us get to do. I would never give up our life with the kids but wow is it nice to wake up when I want, drink coffee and read the paper without being interrupted. To be able to go to the bathroom without someone insisting on being in there with you. I guess that's what vacations are for - relaxing and serving as a reminder that there can be a balance of kids, our marriage and myself. I think it's the most time that Brad and I have spent together in a few years. Honestly, when does a busy couple get more than an hour here or there to just sit and talk about nothing?! Actually being forced to sit in a car together for 8+ hours each day was therapeutic. God I miss those two, though! Spencer's probably going to be running around when we get back and Brynn's going to have perfected her addition skills or learned a new language or something!
Thanks to our great family for taking such good care of them! And especially to Wayne and Julie for pinch hitting while my dad's stayed in the hospital (don't worry, he's okay - just had to keep him overnight after putting in another stint in his ticker).
Here's a photos from our trip so far. We're staying in Manitou Springs, CO. The road to get up here completely freaks me out - thank God we fixed our brakes before we left. But it's well worth it - the views are incredible! See for yourself...
We also took in a Sky Sox game (the CO Rockies' AAA baseball team) last night. Fireworks, peanuts and popcorn - the whole nine yards.