8.07.2008

It's over already!?


After an awesome 10 day vacation we're back to the everyday chaos we call real life. Just wanted to share a few pictures from our adventures out west (Colorado mostly). I think the highlight of our trip was white water rafting down the Arkansas river and I don't even have photos of that right now (they're on Brad's computer)... next post I guess. For having such a fun, relaxing time with each other and our good friends, Pat & Kelly, we did a ton. Here are more highlights:
  • White water rafting for 6+ hours!
  • Our tour guide, Hunchback Adam at Cave of the Winds (if you're ever in Colorado Springs I wouldn't waste the $22)
  • Taking the hour and a half cog ride (see photo below) up Pike's Peak only to find out that the fastest time running up it is 3 hours and 15 minutes and the fastest time driving up it is 10 minutes! The top is 14,110 feet and those cars take the hair pin turns at 70mph. Can you say, holy shitballs?
  • Pat: "I can only handle two of those margaritas, how many did 'Nita have?" Brad: "Four!" (as I'm in the bathroom praying to the porcelain gods)
  • New tattoos! (mom, I hope you're not reading this)
  • Losing about 10 years off of my life (1 year for every time we drove up the gravely, no guard rail, one-lane, sheer drop off trail that they call a road to the cabin)
  • Wildlife encounters: Brad's morning wake up call by the bear on our cabin's porch steps, passing within 8 feet of two huge buffaloes, lots of deer, chipmunks, pronghorn, elk, rabbits, turkeys, mountain goats, etc.
  • Eating Pat's "gut-buster" enchiladas & enjoying lots of local microbrews.
  • Playing the naughtiest version of Photo Hunt at some local-yocal bar.
  • Getting to spend lots of quiet, kid-less time with my husband. ;)
  • Oh and did I say white water rafting?
Hiking in Waldo's Canyon with Pike's Peak in the background.


Oh and the awesome arcade in Manitou Springs was a blast too - hundreds of old arcade games. Brad was hogging the Ms. Pac Man so Kelly had to keep herself busy.


I made Brad stop in the Buffalo Ridge area in SW MN - I just think these wind turbines are the coolest. These were just three of like 100 - it was like being in some sci-fi movie.


The Crazy Horse monument was cool. They've been working on the thing for like 60+ years and they only have his face done. It's so huge (model is in foreground, real thing in the background) that all of Mount Rushmore could fit into the forehead section of his face. The whole place is one big Indian museum - neat stuff.






Kel - this one's for you!


Brad's friendly bear...

The cog we took up to the top of Pike's Peak - sometimes at 25% grades! (steep roads are only like 7 or 8%)

Hiking at Seven Falls, just outside of Colorado Springs.


If that's not a good way to end a post, I don't know what is. :)